Low back pain is a common problem that almost everyone has experienced in some part of their lives.
The specific function of the lumbar spine is that it serves as the connection between the lower and upper body. Due to the upright position of the person, this region of the spine is the one that takes most of the weight of the body.
The treatment of low back pain follows a certain sequence of diagnosis, conservative treatment, and surgery, if necessary.
This pain is common nowadays and affects even young people in the active years of their lives. It is common to use the name “Lumbago” as a collective term for low back pain for various reasons. It is associated with sharp and sharp pain or prolonged and dull in the lumbar region.
Причини за появата на болки в кръста
- Пренатоварване – вдигане на тежки предмети с изпънати колене и наведен гръбначен стълб
- Прекаляване с физически упражнения
- Продължително ходене с неудобни обувки
- Травми в областта на лумбалните прешлени – директен удар, падане и други
- Инфекциозни заболявания свързани със спазми на лумбалната мускулатура
- Дискова херния
- Артрозни изменения на гръбначно – прешлените стави
- Остеопоротични промени
- Вродени дефекти на прешлените или междупрешлените дискове
- Неврологични увреди причинени от стеноза в зоната на лумбалните прешлени
Causes of low back pain
- Overexertion – lifting heavy objects with knees straight and spine bent
- Excessive exercise
- Prolonged walking in uncomfortable shoes
- Injuries in the lumbar spine – direct impact, fall, and others
- Infectious diseases associated with spasms of the lumbar muscles
- Disc herniation
- Osteoarthritis of the vertebral joints
- Osteoporotic changes
- Congenital defects of the vertebrae or intervertebral discs
- Neurological damage caused by stenosis in the area of the lumbar spine
Diagnosis of low back pain
- In the case of acute low back pain, it is important to see a doctor to for diagnosis and treatment.
- In the presence of trauma, chronic pain or suspicion of a more serious illness, it is necessary to use nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, discography, or myelography.
In the next video you can get acquainted with the appearance of low back pain.
Treatment of low back pain with allopathic medicine:
- Analgesics such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, dexofen, voltaren in the form of tablets, capsules, sachets, gels, creams, etc.
- Vitamin drugs – Milgamma, Neurobex
- Muscle relaxants – Central as Diclofenac, Midocalm and peripheral as Alloferin, Pavulon, Arduan
- Corticosteroids – Betamethasone, Betamethasone Dipropionate
- Opioid analgesics – Morphine
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation (kinesitherapy) – apparatus therapy, physical therapy, manual therapy and massage techniques
This is used when conservative treatment does not help.
- Discectomy – removal of part of the disc.
- Foraminotomy – to reduce the tension on the nerve.
- Spinal fusion – is a method of connecting two vertebrae.
- Laminectomy – most often used for spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis.
- Radiofrequency neurotomy – involves the application of heat to certain nerves and their pathways.
- Spinal decompression – to release the compression in the spinal canal.
Treatment of low back pain with Alternative Medicine
- For pain and stiffness in the lower back – RUTA GRAVEOLENS 5 CH, RADIUM BROMATUM 9 CH, ACTEA RACEMOSIS 9 CH, BERBERIS VULGARIS 9 CH
- For pain associated with tingling sensation – POTASSIUM CARBONICUM 9 CH, CALMIA LATIFOLIA 9 CH
Treatment of low back pain with Holistic Medicine Ayurveda
Ayurveda considers this problem in two aspects – imbalance of Vata energy and imbalance in the Kafa-Vata system.
Vata imbalance – this is associated with acute low back pain
Kafa-Vata imbalance – this is associated with chronic constant pain
Mamsam (muscles), majja (nerves) and ashthi (bones) are the three structures that, if affected, will cause a feeling of low back pain, according to Ayurveda.
This is taken into account when planning Panchakarma therapy. The leading imbalance is in the Vata energy, which is why therapies focus mainly on it. Oil therapies are mainly used as oil is viewed as the main balancing agent.
The treatment of low back pain according to Ayurveda is carried out with the following therapies:
Snehana (external and internal therapy for the body with oil)
- Abhyamgam – body therapy with oil
- Pizichil – royal bath with body oil
- Abhyantra snehapanam – taking ghee with herbs internally.
Swedana (use of healing heat to better penetrate the energy of medical oil into the body)
- Herbal steam bath – medicinal herbs are placed in the steaming water
- Churnapindasweda – therapy with warm cotton bags containing herbal powders
Sneha shirodhara (Therapy aimed at the head and brain, where according to Ayurveda, the causes of back and lower back pain originate)
Vasti (oil enema, which is the main balancing therapy for Vata energy imbalance)
- Yogavasti – combination of 5 enemas with oil and 3 with added healing decoction.
Treatment of low back pain with Yoga poses
Yoga, in the form of asana practice, is suitable for straightening the spine and reducing problems related to the lumbar region. Proper posture, combined with deep and calm breathing, can relieve and treat low back pain. At home or under the guidance of an experienced instructor, it is desirable to practice asanas every day until the complete disappearance of low back problems. Listed below are some basic poses that are used to treat low back pain
- Tiryak Tadasana
- Ardha Shalabasana
- Uttitha Ardha Shalabasana
A longer stay in Adho Mukha Svanasana can be added when the pain has subsided. At a later stage, to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder girdle, back, waist and lower limbs use Urdhva Mukha Svanasana in doses.
Morning performance of Surya Namaskar for up to 12 cycles will keep the spine in good condition, but is best performed after the low back pain has disappeared altogether.
The described asanas are used for low back pain of a general nature.
In cases of serious disease – disc herniation, nucleus prolapse, nerve compression, etc. be sure to consult your doctor and do the routine under the supervision of an experienced yoga instructor
A short example of a yoga routine for the treatment of low back pain can be seen in the following video:
Five exercises for low back pain
- Stretching the lumbar muscles by pressing the knees to the chest
- Lie on the ground with your knees bent. Relax the muscles of the back and waist. There should be no raised part under the waist, but it should touch the ground.
- With both hands, press the knee of the right leg to the chest, the thigh to the abdomen. Hold for 20 – 40 seconds while keeping the waist relaxed to the ground
- With both hands, press the knee of the left leg to the chest, the thigh to the abdomen. Hold for 20 – 40 seconds while keeping the waist relaxed to the ground
- With both hands, press both knees to the chest, hips to the abdomen. Hold for 30-60 seconds, keeping your waist relaxed on the ground.
These exercises can be performed 3-4 times in the evening.