Sometimes back and lower back pain go away on its own and you may not need to see a doctor. If you have mild pain for a few days or a week, you can take some steps to relieve the symptoms and eliminate them quickly. The treatment of back pain can be carried out with the help of various types of medicine.
If the pain is severe and comes from a certain type of disease process, be sure to consult your doctor.
Treatment of back and lower back pain with allopathic medicine:
- Analgesics such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, dexofen, and voltaren in the form of tablets, capsules, sachets, gels, creams, etc.
- Vitamin drugs – Milgama and Neurobex
- Muscle relaxants – Central as Baclofen, Diclofenac, Midocalm and peripheral as Alloferin, Pavulon, and Arduan
- Corticosteroids – Betamethasone and Betamethasone Dipropionate
- Opioid analgesics – Morphine
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation (kinesitherapy) – hardware therapy, physical therapy, manual therapy, and massage therapy
It is used when conservative treatment does not help.
- Discectomy – removal of part of the disc.
- Foramenotomy – to reduce the tension on the nerve
- Spinal fusion – is a method of connecting two vertebrae.
- Laminectomy – most often used for spinal stenoses and spondylolisthesis.
- Radiofrequency neurotomy – involves the application of heat to certain nerves and their pathways.
- Spinal decompression – to release the compression in the spinal canal.
Treatment of back and lower back pain with Alternative Medicine:
- For pain and stiffness in different parts of the back – RUTA GRAVEOLENS 5 CH, RADIUM BROMATUM 9 CH, ACTEA RACEMOSIS 9 CH, BERBERIS VULGARIS 9 CH
- For pain associated with a tingling sensation – POTASSIUM CARBONICUM 9 CH, CALMIA LATIFOLIA 9 CH.
Treatment of back and lower back pain with Holistic Ayurvedic Medicine
Ayurveda considers this problem in two aspects – imbalance of Vata energy and imbalance in the Kafa-Vata system.
Vata imbalance – this is associated with acute back and lower back pain
Kafa-Vata imbalance – this is associated with chronic constant pain
Mamsam (muscles), majja (nerves) and ashthi (bones) are the three structures that, if affected, will cause a feeling of back and lower back pain, according to Ayurveda.
This is taken into account when planning Panchakarma therapy. The leading imbalance is in the Vata energy, which is why therapies focus mainly on it. Oil therapies are mainly used with oil as the main balancing agent.
The treatment of back and lower back pain according to Ayurveda is carried out with the following therapies:
Snehana (external and internal body therapy with oil)
- Abhyamgam – body therapy with oil
- Pizichil – royal bath with body oil
- Abhyantra snehapanam – taking ghee with herbs internally.
Swedana (use of healing heat to better penetrate the energy of medical oil into the body)
- Herbal steam bath – medicinal herbs are placed in the steaming water
- Churnapindasweda – therapy with warm cotton bags in which there are herbal powders
Sneha shirodhara (Therapy aimed at the head and brain, where according to Ayurveda are the causes of back and lower back pain)
Vasti (oil enema, which is the main balancing therapy for Vata energy imbalance)
- Yogavasti – a combination of 5 enemas with oil and 3 with added healing decoction.
Treatment of back and lower back pain with Yoga poses
Practicing the asanas of yoga is suitable for straightening the spine and reducing problems related to its function. Proper posture, combined with deep and calm breathing, can relieve and treat low back and back pain. It is desirable to practice the asanas every day, at home or under the guidance of an experienced instructor, until the complete disappearance of problems related to the spine. They are all executed in a certain sequence. Here are some basic poses that are used to treat back and lower back pain:
- Tiryak Tadasana
- Ardha Shalabasana
- Uttitha Ardha Shalabasana
A longer stay in Adho Mukha Svanasana can be added when the pain has subsided. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana can be used at a later stage, to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder girdle, back, waist, and lower limbs.
Morning performance of Surya Namaskar for up to 12 cycles will to keep the spine in good condition but best after the back and lower back pain has disappeared altogether.
The described asanas are used for back and lower back pain of a general nature
In serious disease processes, such as disc herniation, nucleus prolapse, nerve compression, etc., be sure to consult your doctor and do the routine under the supervision of an experienced yoga instructor.
Depending on the degree of pain and its location on the back, you should keep in mind that it is good to seek competent advice from a doctor to assess the state of the spine. Any change in this structure with painful symptoms may lead to a more serious problem that may progress in the future to conditions such as Discopathy, Disc Herniation, Osteoarthritis or various forms of Stenosis in the spinal canals.